Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Blood Pressure and Weight Loss

This study shows a fairly clear correlation between weight loss and dropping blood pressure. Blood pressure is measured in millimetres of mercury (mmHg) and the studies show the expected improvement is 1mmHg for each kilo lost. So if I lose 40lbs, I should expect to see an improvement from 140/90 to something more like the healthy figure of 120/80.

Incidentally, it's the bottom figure to watch out for. This (diastolic pressure) is the resting pressure between heartbeats, and it's this number increasing that causes arteries to harden as they resist the increased pressure.

Today's score is looking like about 40 points again. I was on 24 1/2 when I got home from work, and that was with an 8 point dinner. Or I might just scoff some more chocolate. This is likely to become tedious pretty soon if I don't.

The other bit of interesting news today is that I have been recommended, medically speaking, to not take up jogging. Suits me.

No comments: